1925 BASKET-MEN BOW TO DARTMOUTH FRESHMEN

Crimson Yearlings Play Visitors to Standstill in First Period but Lose in Second 28-24--Show Improvement Over Work in Exeter Game

The Dartmouth Freshman basketball team defeated the University Freshmen at Hemenway Gymnasium last night by a score of 28-24. Though played to a standstill in the first period the visitors forged steadily ahead into a lead afterwards which safely withstood a late Crimson rally.

The main difference between the two teams lay in the superior excellence of the Dartmouth passing. Time and again, the visitors would pass the ball back and forth in their half of th floor until they had the University yearlings out of position. Then with a fast spurt, one of the Green quintet would shoot out of group of players, dribble the ball down the floor and cage it almost unhindered.

Improvement Shown

Coach Tolbert's team showed a distinct improvement over their work against Exeter last Saturday. Here again, however, the stubbornness of the opponents' defence caused the Crimson players to shoot from long range. The playing of Merriam at left forward, and the foul shooting of Captain Samborski were the outstanding features of the home team's playing. There latter accounted for seven of the eleven points scored by the Crimson in the first period. For Dartmouth Sailer at guard and Friedman at forward were the star players, although the whole team presented a well-balance machine.

The summary: HARVARD 1925  DARMOUTH 1925 Scully, Heagney, Middleton, r. f.,  l.g., Sailer Bunting, merriam, l.f.  r.g., Goas King, c.  c., Edwards Samborski, Merriam, r.g.  l.f., Friedman Morrison, Bourne, l.g.  r.f., Walker

Score, Dartmouth 1925 28, Harvard 1925 24, Goals from floor Merriam 3, Scully, 2, Morrison 2, Walker 1, Friedman 5, Edwards 2, Goas 2, Sailer 2, Goals from fouls Samborski 9, Merriam 1, Goas 4. Referee, Sanders. Time, 20-minute periods.