CRIMSON CONQUERS BROWN FIVE 31-13

Defensive Work of Crimson Guards Holds Invaders to Five Goals From the Floor--Captain McLeish Injured

Eighteen points was the Crimson margin or victory when Coach Wachter's quintet met the Brown five last night at the Hemenway gymnasium in the fastest contest that has been seen at Cambridge for many weeks. The final score was 31-13. Displaying excellent team work, the University five was never headed after the first five minutes, although the Brunonians staged a fighting really last in the first period and momentarily succeeded in tieing the score just as the bell rang at half-time.

Leading the scoring with five floor baskets and five free tries to his credit, Lowenthal shone at left forward while Rudofsky played his usual stellar game at guard, the defence proving so effective that the Providence men were able to tally but five times from scrimmage during the entrie game. Captain McLeish sprined his ankle late in the opening season, Gerdon replacing him at forward.

Brown Threatening

Though defeated, the Brown quintet should excellent team-work, threatening the Crimson basket during the entire first half. The defensive work of the Crimson proved so effective, however, that practically all the visitor's tallies came from isolated shots from mid-floor, while in the second half, the providence five accord on but two fouls.

On a foul shot soon after the opening whistle, Captain McLeish was the first to score. The Providence five jumped into the lead when Barrett tallied from the floor after a pretty bit of passing only to be tied when the Crimson leader dropped another free try through the ring. Another shot from Mitchell ended the Brown offensive for Lowenthal had tallied twice, Fitts once, and McLeish had registered two more fouls before the Brunonians started a rally. Holding the University to one more point, the gradually cut down their lead until at half-time the score stood at 11 all.

The rally was not to last for with the first whistle of the second half, Coach Wachter's machine swung into action again and in ten minutes piled up 11 points to a solitary Brown foul, the re- liable Lowenthal bearing the brunt of the scoring with eight of the 11 tallies to his credit. Soon after this Coach Wachter sent in all his second string men but they succeeded in holding the visitors to another single free try while running up nine more points themselves.

The summary:

HARVARD  BROWNMcLeish, Gordon, Hartley, r.f.  l.g., MarshallLowenthal, Pallo, l.f.  r.g., MillerSipp, Fitts, c.  c., BarrettBlack, Miller, r.g.,  l.f., Mitchell, Williams, JoslynRudofsky, Feiring, l.g.  r.f., Wagonknecht Mallor