ELI DEFEAT ON SATURDAY CLOSED ONE OF MOST SUCCESSFUL SEASON IN CRIMSON HOCKEY ANNALS

Only Setback Was at Hands of Toronto, University Team in Early Season Game--held to Tie by B. A. A. and Westminster Sextets--Eight Successive Victories to Credit of University Six

When the whistle blew last Saturday at the close of 45 minutes of furious playing in the New haven Arena, it was to draw the curtain on the final act of one of the most successful seasons in the history of University hockey. The victory over Yale came as a fitting climax to the brilliant succession of victories which extended over the last lap in the Crimson schedule, all the more satisfying because of the previous triumph over the Eli stickmen on February 11.

The fact that the University sextet suffered a decided set-back in the early part of the season detracts little from the record of eight successive victories over the best of eastern hockey combinations. The Toronto university team, in its sweeping tour of the country, succeeded in keeping a clean slate and successively crushed the strongest college sextets, thereby gaining a fair claim to the world's amateur hockey title. In the face of such an impressive record the Crimson's decisive defeat at the hands of the Canadians testifies not so much to the weakness of the University players as to the super-brilliance of the visitors.

Canadians Inflict Only Defeat

If college contests alone are counted, the Crimson has a fair claim to a championship season, its only defeat being at the hands of a Canadian, team, while the B. A. A. and Westminster, both teams composed of former college stars, were the only combinations to hold Coach Claflin's men to an even decision.

Owing to the unusual facilities offered by the Boston Arena, practice for the hockey squad was started soon after the Yale game the first call for candidates being issued on November 28. At the initial meeting the men were addressed by Coach Claflin and Captain Owen, and regular practice was announced for December 1.

A record total of 60 men reported for the opening session at the Arena the next day, but for two weeks nothing strenuous in the way of scrimmage work was attempted, the men being given occasional opportunities to show their ability in a series of practice tilts will the B. A. A., M. I. T., and Westminster sextets.

The Crimson team, developing slowly under the careful supervision of Coaches Claflin and Winsor, faced its first test on December 22 against St. Paul's school, Contrary to expectations the schoolboys failed to sustain their formidable reputation and were hopelessly outclassed by the University players, 8-1.

The only blot on the winter's record occurred immediately after the Christmas recess when Toronto fresh from a succession of overwhelming victories over the foremost eastern teams, added the finishing touch to its record by sweeping to a 6-1 win over the Crimson combination. No once were the visitors headed, the sensational Carson leading the Canadians in the most powerful and versatile attack seen on the Arena ice this year.

Improvement Rapid

January 14 found the University team immensely improved in all departments and the Dalhousie invaders were turned back to the tune of 4-1. Princeton was the next victim, and was defeated of Philadelphia, 3-0. The Crimson team, though gaining the decision, failed to come up to standard, but the next week witnessed a decided turn for the better when M. I. T. received a 9-2 set-back. This was the first defeat the Engineers had sustained, and thought playing in every respect up to their usual form, they were helpless before the University attack.

Perhaps in no game of the season did Coach Clafin's men show up to better advantage than in their two gruelling struggles with the B. A. A. and Westminster sextets. On both occasions the score was tie, and on both occasions the decision remained a toss-up till the closing whistle. With the exception of the Toronto whirlwind, these combinations represented the highest calibre of hockey which the University faced all winter, and participation in the two games provided invaluable experience for succeeding contests.

The last four games formed one continuous list of victories. In the opening clash with Yale the Crimson, led by Captain Owen, crushed its old rival in one of the fastest contests of the year. Not till the final period did the University forwards gain their stride, and then it was only in the face of the stiffest defence that they succeeded in scoring the winning tallies.

Dartmouth fell on February 15, 2-0, and Princeton was overwhelmingly defeated three days later. Nine goals was the total of the Crimson's efforts on this occasion, the forwards scoring almost at will through the Tiger opposition.

By virtue of last Saturday's victory over Yale a third contest was rendered unnecessary. The Eli stickmen exhibited a startling improvement along all lines of play, but it was not enough to stop the Crimson advance, Owen pushing through two tallies towards the close of the game, making the score 3-1.

Baker proved himself high scorer for the season, running up the total of 14 points. He was closely pressed by Martin and Captain Owen, with a record of 11 and 8 respectively. Following is the complete record of individual scoring for the season.

Baker 14, Martin 11, Owen 8, Crosby 5, Walker 5, Larocque 3, Angler 2, Hill 1.

The summary of the season's games follows:

Harvard  8  St. Paul's  1Harvard  1  Toronto  6Harvard  4  Dalhousie  1Harvard  3  Princeton  0Harvard  9  M. I. T.  2Harvard  3  B. A. A.  3Harvard  1  Westminster  1Harvard  6  Yale  2Harvard  3  Dartmouth  0Harvard  9  Priceton  0Harvard  3  Yale  1Total  50    1