YEARLING BASKETBALL TEAM HAD EVEN BREAK

Freshman Five Started Season Well but Met Defeat in Last Four Contests--Captain A. W. Samborski Led in Individual Scoring

Starting off with power and team-play that netted them six of the first eight games played, the Freshman basketball team met a defeat at the hands of the Exeter Academy five on February 25 that was duplicated in the remaining three games of the season. Although the yearlings received an even break in their 12 games, the season must be classed as unsuccessful considering defeats from both the Dartmouth and Yale Freshman teams.

Opening the season with a 38-33 victory over the Tufts Freshman quintet, Coach Tolbert's men progressed steadily in spite of set-backs at the hands of Boston Y. M. C. A. and Springfield College Freshmen until on February 18 they reached the climax of their season with a 30-29 victory over the strong Andover five, a victory lessened in value by a second game in which the Freshmen succumbed by a score of 36-32. Following the first Andover game, the yearlings were able to defeat the M. I. T. Freshmen by a two-point margin before falling into the slump that cost them defeats by Exeter, Dartmouth '25, Andover, and finally on March 11 by the Yale Freshmen, 26-18.

From the Crimson point of view the final game was almost a reproduction of the season. Coach Tolbert's charges started off with a powerful offensive that netted them a nine-point lead in the first half, but their offence broke in the second period and Yale finally triumphed.

Early in the season A. W. Samborski was elected captain of the team. He took part in at least part of every game and in spite of being handicapped offensively by playing guard, he succeeded in becoming the nucleus of the yearling attack, leading it, directing it, in some cases almost comprising it until by the end of the season, he had made 28 goals and caged 7 free tries from fouls for a total of 123 points. Merriam, the next highest scorer, was able to collect 44 points wholly by goals from scrimmage, while Middleton was a close third with 45.

The season's results are as follows: Harvard  38  Tufts '25  33 Harvard  24  Boston Y. M. C. A.  26 Harvard  31  N. H. State '25  27 Harvard  23  Springfield Coll. '25  31 Harvard  51  Tabor  13 Harvard  37  Dean  28 Harvard  30  Andover  29 Harvard  24  M. I. T. '25  22 Harvard  21  Exeter  30 Harvard  24  Dartmouth  28 Harvard  32  Andover  36 Harvard  18  Yale '25  26   --    -- Total  353    329