PRIZES STILL OPEN TO COMPETITION TABULATED

$3865 Offered Annually to Undergraduates--Book Prizes for Scholarship and Medals for Public Speaking Included in List

Each year 32 prizes, amounting to a sum total-of $3865, are offered to undergraduates in the University. In addition to those financial awards, book prizes called Deturs, are presented to all men who attain for the first time a position in the first scholarship group. Two medals are also offered for public speaking. The medal of the Comite France-Amerique is presented to the successful contestant in an annual declamation conducted in French, while the Pasteur med al goes to the best speaker at an annual debate conducted in English.

For the convenience of any men interested in this subject, the CRIMSON is submitting the following list of prizes that are still open for competition among undergraduateas during 1921-1922. Many of these prizes are open to men in the graduate schools, as well as to undergraduates, and some only to certain classes in the College, but in such cases the information is included. The date and place accompanying the name of the prize are the last day and the room where they will be accepted. As it is impossible to include all the necessary details in this article, men are advised to obtain further information from the Secretary of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences at University 9.

I. Prizes in the fields of History, Government and Economics.

1. The Bennett Prize of $100

For: the best essay on some subject of American governmental, domestic or foreign policy.

Open to: Seniors of Harvard College and to Special Students in their third or fourth year who have taken-courses in Political Science and English Literature.

University 9--May 1.

2. The All-American Cables Prizes of $250 and $100.

For: the two best essays of not more than 5000 words on "The Value of American Owned Cables to the American Government and the Merchant."

Open to. all members of the University.

University 17--May 1.

3. The Ricardo Prize Scholarship of $350.

For: the best essay written in a stated examination.

Open to: Seniors or members of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, to enable the winner to carry on studies next year under the supervision of the Department of Economics.

Place of examination to be announced later. Examination to be held not later than May 1.

4. The Sumner Prize of $100.

For: the best dissertation on a subject connected with universal peace and the methods by which war may be permanently superseded.

Open to: any members of the University.

University 9--May 1.

5. The David A. Wells Prize of $500.

For: the best thesis in Economics embodying the results of original investigation.

Open to: Seniors and graduates of not more than three years' standing in any department of the University.

University 9--November 1, 1922.

6. The Philip Washburn Prize of $125.

For: the best thesis, of sufficient merit, on a historical subject, presented by a successful candidate for a degree of A.B. with distinction in History, Government, and Economics, whose main work is in History.

II. Prizes in Language and Literature.

1. The Bowdoin Prizes, one of $250, and two of $100, for dissertations in English. One prize of $50 for a translation into Greek. One prize of $50 for a translation into Latin. Further information about the translation may be found in the Catalogue.

Open to: undergraduates.

University 20--Before 10 o'clock, April 1.

2. The Lloyd McKim Garrison Prize of $125 and a silver medal.

For: the best poem on "Russia".

Open to: all undergraduates.

University 9--April 1.

3. The Jeremy Belknap Prize of $50.

For: the best French composition.

Open to: first-year students in Harvard College, who have passed the advanced French examination for admission or have done satisfactory work in a three years' course in French at school; provided they have not had exceptional opportunities for speaking French.

University 9--By May 1.

Notice of intention to compete should be sent to the Secretary of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

4. The Helen Choate Bell Prize of $275.

For: the best essay on a subject in American Literature.

Open to: any student in the University or Radcliffe College.

University 10--May 1.

5. The Dante Prize of $100.

For: the best essay on a subject from the life or works of Dante,

Open to: students in any department of the University or graduates of not more than three years' standing of any college or university in the United States.

University 9--May 1.

6. The Susan Anthony Potter Prizes. One prize of $100 for the best thesis on any subject in the field of Comparative Literature.

One prize of $50 for the best essay on a subject in Comparative Literature concerning the Middle Ages or the Renaissance.

Open to: undergraduates in Harvard College.

One prize of $75 for the best essay on a subject dealing with the Spanish Literature of the Golden Age.

Open to: all undergraduates.

University 9--May 1.

7. The Sales Prize of $60.

For: the best Spanish scholar who began his study of the language at Harvard College, whose scholarship shall be determined by his proficiency in Spanish Composition.

Notice of intention to compete should be sent to the Secretary of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, University 9, by May 1.

8. The Sargent Prize of $100.

For: the best metrical translation of the twenty-second ode of the first book of Horace.

Open to: undergraduates of Harvard College and Radcliffe College.

University 9--May 1.

9. The Medal of the Comite France-Amerique.

For: the successful contestant in an annual declamation in French, to be held this year some time in May.

Candidates should consult Professor L. J. Mercier.

10. The George B. Sohier Prize of $250.

For: the best thesis presented by a successful candidate for Honors in English or in Modern Literature.

Open to: students in the College, the Graduate School, and in Radcliffe College.

III. Prizes in Public Speaking and Debating.

1. The Coolidge Debating Prize of $100.

For: the best speaker in the trials for the Harvard-Yale-Princeton triangular debate.

2. The Boylston and Lee Wade Prizes for elocution of $50, $35, and $25, respectively.

For: the successful candidates in a competition for elocution.

Open to: Seniors, Juniors, and Sophomores in good standing. Selections should be submitted to Dean Briggs, University 10, on or before the first Thursday in April. The competition will be held on the second Thursday in May.

IV. Prizes in Music and Fine Arts.

1. The George Arthur Knight Prize of $75.

For: the best composition in instrumental music.

Open to: all members of the University.

Professor Spalding, Chairman of the Division of Music--April 15.

2. The Bowers Prizes for Drawing, and Painting. A prize of $50 for the best painting in oil or water color made during the year in any of the courses in Fine Arts. A prize of $25 for the best drawing made direct from nature, of architectural, landscape, or figure subject, in any of the courses in Fine Arts during the year.

Open to: undergraduates.

3. The Wister Prize of $50.

For: the student who passes his examinations with the highest combined average in mathematics and music.

The Prize of the Harvard Club of North China, the Boott Prize, the Pasteur Medal, and the Elizabeth Wilder Prize are not included in this list because the competitions for them have closed for the year 1921-22.