THREE GREAT PROBLEMS FACING UNITED STATES

Mr. Sherwood Eddy Compares Situation in This Country and Europe--Politics, Race, and Class Menacing--Danger of Another War in Europe

Speaking on the "Challenge of the Present World Situation" at the Union last night at 7.15 o'clock, under the auspices of the Liberal Club. Mr. Sherwood Eddy said that every country in the world today is facing an important crisis. He spoke of the conditions among the nations of Europe, and compared them with the conditions in the United States.

"Everywhere", he said, "the crisis has taken form in three great problems, political, race, and class. We think of Europe as being in a situation far different from our own, but let us look at our conditions, and then can one of us say that we have no problem?"

Mr. Eddy showed that we are facing a serious political crisis in graft and corruption. In regard to our race problem, he said: "Some may say that we have no race problem, but the arguments of these people do not hold water in the burning light of fact.

"Our unsolved industrial problem is the greatest that we have ever had to face. There are strikes in Japan, in India, in Egypt, and in England, but during the year 1921, we had 3000 strikes--more than all those in the rest of the world put together".

Danger of Another War

He went on to say that there is grave danger in Europe of another war, on account of the clash of interests between France and England in the treatment of Germany. "The interests of France are political. She wants to hem Germany in, in such a way that the latter cannot develop economically. England wants Germany to regain her industrial strength so that England may replenish her resources with German trade. If these two policies cannot be reconciled, there may be serious trouble".

Mr. Eddy completed his speech by telling how these grave crises can be cured. "The underlying cause of economic trouble in the world is the unequal distribution of wealth. In England, one-tenth of the population owns nine-tenths of the wealth. In this country, 103 families control the 14 basic industries. I found students of Europe thinking, and leading in reform. I wish I could say the same thing of American students".