UNIVERSITY RELAY TEAMS TAKE RACES IN K. OF C. GAMES

Three Crimson Runners Qualify for Semi-Finals in 40-Yard Dash--Chase Takes Second in Final

The Knights of Columbus track meet at Mechanics Hall Saturday night, successful from a general point of view, in that stars from all sections of the country competed, was also a decided success from the Crimson standpoint. After the Freshman relay team had led the M. I. T. yearlings to the tape, the University quartet won a victory over the Dartmouth team that was hoped for rather than expected.

The University race was over a distance of two miles, each man running 780 yards. W. F. Eaton '22, lead-off man for the Crimson, had the pole. At the start he sprang into the lead over W. B. Nazro of Dartmouth and when he handed the baton to J. W. Quinn '23 he was ten yards ahead of his man. R. W. Letteney, running in second place for the Green, made up this distance, passed Quinn in the fourth lap, and gave A. J. Coakley a five-yard advantage over J. A. McCarthy '22. McCarthy showed his gameness by sticking at his opponents heels, finally, on the last lap passing him and starting J. W. Burke '23, anchor-man for the University, three yards ahead of V. F. Shem Burke, showing perfect form and a world of power, ran like a machine, steadily pulling ahead of his man until at the finish he clinched the race with a ten-yard lead.

The Freshman relay was not the seesaw battle that the other was. From the very start when J. S. Murphy shot ahead of C. M. Boardman, lead-off man for M. I. T., the Crimson yearlings, though hard pressed throughout, never relinquished their lead. Murphy passed on a five-yard advantage to W. L. Chapin, who in turn started L. L. Robb three yards ahead of G. L. Bateman. T. R. Hull, anchor man for the Crimson, was eight yards away when G. J. Leness of Tech received the baton.

In the dash J. S. Murphy '25 with a handicap of seven feet, J. D. Chase '22 with six feet, and C. H. Wansker '23 with two feet earned the right to run in the semi-finals by placing in the trial heats. Murphy and Wansker then caused a considerable sensation by placing first and second respectively in their semi-final, while Chase came in second in his. In the finals, however, Chase was the only one of the three men to place. He came in second, being beaten only by Charles Carroll of Holy Cross.

In the trial heat of the 45-yard hurdles, C. R. Hauers '23 with a handicap of four feet, and R. S. Whitney '22 with three, came in first and second respectively. The final was won by Earl J. Thomson of Dartmouth, the record holder, while Hauers secured third place