TASTE OF AUDIENCES POOR SAYS COURTENAY

Famous Actor Declares Recent Desire for Emotional Thrill Handicaps Playwrights-Believes Movies Will Not Displace Legitimate Stage

"There is no American drama today in the proper sense of the word", said Mr. William Courtenay, the well known actor, when interviewed recently for the CRIMSON.

"The dramatists", Mr. Courtenay went on to say, "are tremendously handicapped by the disturbed condition of the public mind which has followed the war. The present theatre-going public wants emotional thrill of some kind. If it gets this, it goes home satisfied, regardless of the structure of the play and the probability of the plot". The result is the popularity of the mystery plays like The Cat and the Canary, or of riotous farces such as The First Year. During the past season, plays of undoubted merit failed in New York owing to this particular taste for the exotic and thrilling.

"Eugene O'Neill", continued Mr. Courtenay, "most nearly approaches a true school of American drama, but I do not think his type of play with a long succession of scenes has come to stay. The constant lowering of the curtain detracts from the impression of reality.

"The musical comedy, on the other hand, will always be a feature of our drama. A production such as Sally has just as great artistic value as a regular play. Fortunately, however, the day is past when a producer could collect a few chorus men in silk hats, some chorus girls in short frocks, a couple of slap-stick comedians, some old jokes, and a little music, call the tout ensemble a musical comedy, and draw crowded houses".

When questioned as to the future of the moving pictures Mr. Courtenay said: "The movies will never displace the legitimate stage, because they cater to a different class of people. The taste of their present public will keep down the general quality of the movies, although of course there will always be men like Griffith, who will produce pictures of such a quality that everyone will wish to see them".