COACH HOWE TESTS OUT VARIOUS COMBINATIONS IN LONG CREW PRACTICE

FRESHMEN WILL RACE TECH '25 AGAIN ON MAY 13

Much encouraged by the showing of the University crews in the races Saturday, Dr. Howe took his men out for one of the longest work-outs of the year yesterday, shifting practically every man on the squad and trying out various combinations before deciding upon the final seating for the triangular regatta. Today will probably see a race between the first two University shells and the first Freshman eight over the full course in the Basin, with a definite announcement as to the men who will oppose Princeton and the Navy likely.

There is considerable optimism as a result of the races last Saturday. Despite a following wind which helped the Quakers more than has generally been recognized, the University crews came through strong at the finish and pushed the Pennsylvanians to the limit. Dr. Howe has proved that he can develop a crew which, if it cannot win all its races, will at least always make "a creditable and sportsmanlike showing".

Frequent Shifts Yesterday

As had been expected Dr. Howe adopted radical measures in trying out new combinations yesterday. There were frequent shifts followed by short races between the two crews to determine their relative speed with different men in the boat. As a final experiment the two eights changed shells in order to determine if there was any difference in the speed of the boats.

After a whole afternoon spent in this kind of work, the coaches seemed to feel that there would be no necessity for very many definite changes for the race Saturday. In fact it would not be surprising if the same eight men who rowed against the Red and Blue were at the starting line again this week.