DARTMOUTH TENNIS TEAM WINS 4-2 AT HANOVER

Defeats University Net-Men by Decisive Score-Green Players Prove Steadier in Rallies-Sanders, N. E. Intercollegiate Champion, Downs Duane

The Dartmouth tennis team, showing a complete recovery from the slump which resulted in its decisive overthrow at the hands of Yale last week, defeated the University on the courts at Hanover Saturday afternoon by the score of 4-2. The two matches which went to the Crimson were won with comparative case, but the Green pet-men demonstrated in three matches their ability to come through after a long battle and it was this capacity to win points at the critical times that turned the balance in favor of the New Hampshire college.

The feature match of the afternoon was the first singles in which Captain Sanders of Dartmouth, present New England intercollegiate singles and doubles champion, defeated Captain Duane of the University, 9-7, 6-8, 8-6. Duane started off with a fast attack, taking every advantage to advance to the net. Sanders, however, also went up to the net at every opportunity and as the match progressed he gradually drove Duane into a defensive back-court game. Time after time, more frequently with each succeeding set, he forced Duane to return a hard drive with a lob, and then finished the rally with a well-placed smash.

Pfaffman Defeats Howe

In the singles Pfaffman played well for the University; his fast ground strokes many times leaving Howe flat-footed at the net. In the doubles, however, the finished team-work of Sanders and Howe rendered ineffective the hard-hitting Crimson pair, while their ability to cover the court and keep their oponents guessing, enabled them to take the match 6-3, 6-3. In the second doubles, Guild and Holmes, the new combination that worked so well against Brown, did not get started until their opponents had won the first set, 6-1. They then rallied, taking the second set, but were finally defeated, 6-4 after a hard-fought third set that was featured by some long rallies.

The summary:

Single.-Sanders (D) defeated Duane (H), 9-7, 6-8, 8-6; Pfaffman (H) defeated Howe (D), 6-3, 6-2; Carleton (D) defeated Guild (H), 4-6, 6-3, 6-2; Bradley (H) defeated Smith (D), 6-3, 6-3.

Doubles.-Sanders and Howe (D) defeated Duane and Pfaffman (H), 6-3, 6-3; Carleton and Smith (D) defeated Guild and Holmes (H), 6-1, 3-6, 6-4.

Final Score.-Dartmouth 4, Harvard 2.