PATROLLING THE BEAT

"Managua, Nicaragua, May 21.-the American Minister received word by wireless today from Rear-Admiral Cole of the United States Navy that he would land tomorrow with 400 marincs. At a conference of rebel leaders held this afternoon it was decided to turn over all the captured property to the government forces, and the revolution has collapsed."

Here, in an inch of inconspicuous telegraphic news, is summed up for anyone who cares to read, as perfect a justification of the little-known half of the Monroe doctrine, as could be brought out in pages of leagal phrascology; and it is only one among dozens of similar cases happening in out of the way corners of the Western Hemisphere. The insurrection in Nicaragua broke out Sunday when revolutionists served a government fort, commanding the city. The American marines arrived, took over the fort from the rebels without a shot, returned it to its proper garrison, and the disturbance was over, all inside of eight hours.

Just as unosientatiously, just as effectively, our side of the Monroe doctrine has been carried out elsewhere in te Americas time and again where a steady hand has been needed to keep the political cauldrom from upsetting. In Hali despite vague of "American actroties". It is generally admitted that the island has settled down to a prosperity unknown before American occupation. In others of the small "banana" republics, as O. Henry loved to describe, the more proscuce of a cool, giver American destroyer slipping into the harbor has completely discussed inciptent fire cracker revolutions.

A policeman, quietly doing his job in a somewhat explosive community, is not likely to be much appreciated by the in habitants. In the same way Uncle Sam trying to maintain law and order in similar districts of the Western Hemisphere, and looking after the property and interests of the foreign nations represented there comes in for considerable abuse at the hands of the trouble makers.