PRE-OCCUPATION

It has been a rare event in history to have an army of occupation, surrendering its hold upon the conquered territory, invited to stay longer, not only by its allies, but by the subject people themselves. This is the situation of the contingent of United States forces now in Germany. No sooner had the Government announced its intention of removing the remaining four or five battalions now in Colbenz, than almost simultaneously France, England and Germany sent in formal request for reconsidering the decision.

It is interesting to examine the different points of view that have prompted all three nations to this same action. France wants the Americans to stay as a symbol of the alliance which won the war. The moral support of the United States is a very uncertain quantity in future trouble between France and Germany; and with Americans on the Rhine, the French breathe more freely. England wants the United States to remain in Germany because there has been less friction between the Germans and their conquerors where Americans instead of French troops have been stationed. Last of all, the thought of the American departure, because frankly, they did not believe so much money was in the world as the American soldiers have been spending in Coblenz.

There is no question that under General Allen's tactful direction relations on the Rhine have been much improved. The men themselves think they are leading an existence little short of an earthly paradise. If at the same time, the American forces are really serving the cause of international peace, it seems most unfortunate to insist upon their departure.