UNIVERSITY NINE SWAMPS BATES 14-0

Visitors Threaten Only Once in Third Inning--Coach Slattery's Men Total Ten Hits--Clean Fielding

With every Crimson batter bringing in a run and Hallock and Jenkins clouting out homers, the University nine whitewashed the Bates team 14 to 0 yesterday afternoon on Soldiers Field in a game sprinkled with errors.

Gehrke pitched sterling ball throughout the nine innings and only twice did the visitor reach second base. Two men singled in the first and one in the fourth but the remaining batters grounded weakly to the Crimson infield or filed out in one, two, three order.

Spiller was hit almost at ease, in the first and second innings, the University gathering two singles a two-bagger, two three-baggers, and a home run for eleven tallies. In the fourth inning he settled down and, with the exception of Jenkins homer, limited the University to two singles.

Lincoln started the scoring in the first inning, getting a base on balls, going to second on a passed ball, advancing to third when Gordon grounded to the second baseman, and coming home on Conlon's grounder to third. Owen fol- lowed with a three-bagger and Jenkins brought him home on a liner to third.

In the second inning on five hits and two costly errors, Coach Slattery's men piled up nine runs. Hallock was safe on the shortstop's error and Murphy pushed him to second with a base on balls. Gehrke singled, filling the bases, and Lincoln brought them all home on a long two-bagger. Gordon struck out but Conlon reached first safely on the first baseman's error. Owen was passed. Jenkins was thrown out at first but Lincoln crossed the plate in the meantime s Conlon went to third and Owen to second. Janin scored them both on a neat single and Hallock in turn knocked Janin around on his long homer to center field. Murphy was passed and scored on Gherke's three-bagger. Lincoln grounded to third for the last out.

Gordon reached home in the third when the first baseman let a ball get by him. Jenkins brought in the thirteenth run by his homer in the sixth, and Janin followed him around for the final tally, getting to first on an error, taking the next two bases on a passed ball, and coming home when Murphy flied out to deep right.

The visitors threatened only once when Jordon singled in the third inning, was sacrificed to second, and reached third when Gherke fumbled a grounder to the pitcher's box. But as they play was being made at first, Jordon started home but Murphy tagged him out at the plate.

Harvard  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Lincoln, 3b.  3  2  1  0  2  0Gordon, r.f.  4  1  0  2  0  0Conlon, s.s.  4  1  1  1  3  0Owen, 1b.  4  2  4  14  2  0Jenkins, 2b.  5  1  1  1  1  3  0Janin, l.f.  5  2  1  1  0  0Hallock, c.f.  5  2  1  3  0  0Murphy, c.  2  2  0  5  1  0Gehrke, p.  4  1  2  0  3  1Total  36  14  10  27  14  1Bates  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Kennelly, c.f.  4  0  0  2  0  0Moulton. r.f.  4  0  1  1  0  0Rowe, l.f.  4  0  0  2  0  0Jordan, 1b.  4  0  2  10  0  2Doker, 3b.  3  0  0  0  5  2Cogan, 2b.  2  0  o  4  2  0Dimlick. s.s.  3  0  0  0  3  2Partridge, c.  2  0  0  5  3  0Spiller, p.  3  0  0  0  1  1Total  29  0  3  24  14