CUTTING COSTS AND CLASSES

That cutting is a costly process is borne in upon us more and more as examinations roll inevitably by, and the tutoring schools offer to "fill those gaps" for five or ten dollars as the case may be. But for the benefit of the mathematically-minded the actual cost of lectures has been worked out to show just how much loss each cut entails.

For the purely academic scholarly man each lecture costs two or three dollars, provided the library privilege be considered gratis. But that can apply only to the man who spends his thousand dollars annually (estimated) solely for the pleasure of attending lectures. Other men, more interested in extra curriculum activities, have additional benefits for their money, and if a man is ergetic, those advantages reduce the cost to about sixty cents for each hour spent in classes.

Yet there is something to be said for the high fee none the less. "To live is to spend money" some sage remarked, and so, if one lives more actively, he must spend more freely. Then, too, time is limited, and with lectures worth only sixty cents why not cut more often and regain time? But in the end this proceeding more than equals the savings from cut rate fees, recalling the story of the man who threw his return trip ticket out the window just to "pull something over on the railway for onc't."

In both cases retribution is inevitable whether it be in the form of "ten at University 4" or a hard-hearted conductor. Plainly, missing lectures, even if only at the price of a seat in "the Orpheum", is most costly; and if one goes to a matinee in the time gained, prices rise still further.

Apparently "cutting costs" is of sufficient importance to a number of men to cause their attendance day after day even though they continually bewail the dullness of the lectures. They may have figured out the expense of a holiday be forehand.