PLENTY OF ROOM

"All signs point to the Student information Bureau" is an apt expression at present. From morning until night newoomers to Harvard troop into Phillips Brooks House. Of their innumerable questions most concern rooms. The problem of helping them find suitable quarters for the year is a perplexing one for the bureau. Printed lists containing information about more than four hundred rooming houses are provided. But when a man has no place to stay, or to leave his baggage, he is not going to inspect many places; he takes the first available room. While such a course seems natural, it is unwise and is likely to result in dissatisfaction. There is no need of haste when the supply so far exceeds the demand as it does at this time.

At the start one should get some idea of the loonilty that seems most suitable. Then he should make a careful search for a room fulfilling his requirements. When a definite choice is made, a written agreement with the landlady is essential. It should cover the student's interests as completely as possible, especially in regard to his liability in case he is forced to leave Cambridge before the end of the college year. Finally, by notifying the bureau of houses that are filled, the student not only facilitates the work at the information desk but also simplifies the task of room-hunting for later arrivals.