LIBERAL CLUB HEARS HON. W. CAMERON FORBES

Discusses Freeing of Philippines--Says Natives Are Too Illiterate to Govern Selves -- Would Continue Present Government

In an address before the Liberal Club last night the Honorable W. Cameron Forbes '92, former Governor-General of the Philippine Islands, discussed the fitness and the desirability of granting self-government to the Philippines.

"The Philippines could be given their independence now, if necessary", said Mr. Forbes, "but the many disadvantages of this are obvious. The majority of the natives of the islands are illiterate, and, since they are not able to read newspapers, there is a dearth of intelligent public opinion among the great part of them. There is a certain amount of danger, therefore, if the Philippines get their independence at the present time, that the educated few would get almost autocratic control.

"The Philippines are not yet ready to maintain a government without the support of the United States, and it is better for them to wait until they can thoroughly digest the powers now in their hands. The pledge of the United States to the world is that it will set up a staple government in the Philippines. If we backed out now, we should not have fulfilled our pledge".