"CHRISTO ET ECCLESIAE"

The many outbursts of journalistic feeling on "Religion at Harvard" have caused a widespread opinion that sober, steady Harvard is departing from the good old ways of its founders into fields of doubt and irreverence. These misinformed conservatives will learn with pleasure that Harvard has not only not abolished compulsory prayers, but has remodeled the old method of conducting them so that now they are more impressive than ever. The new change inaugurated yesterday marks a revolution. The teachings of the Quakers have received support. Hereafter no one will be required to officiate, but each student will quietly meditate, and wait for the moving of the spirit. In order to accomplish this revolution, a few more changes are necessary. Abolish the boy choir, do away with ringing of the bell, strip the Chapel of its decorations, and finally remove the compulsory feature, and allow the Quaker-like spirit of devotion to manifest itself in its full voluntary aspect. November 16, 1885.

There is one hindrance to the use of the Library which is due to the students themselves; for of late there has been much annoyance caused by the thoughtlessness of some students, who consider the reading-room a place for conversation or animated discussion on some point in their text-book. Discussion is very good in the right place, but we would remind these zealots that it is impossible to study while there is such an aggravating noise as is made by a conversation carried on in a loud whisper or in an undertone.   April 7, 1876.

With the return of milder weather, the bicyclist polishes his machine and looks forward to the long spring days in which he can explore the country around Cambridge. Every one knows how much more distance can be covered by a jolly party than by one or two riding alone. Appreciating this fact, the Harvard Bicycle Club has arranged for more frequent and longer runs than last year, when bad weather and small attendance made the meets less successful than they promise to be this spring.   March 10,1882.