TRACK MEN TIE FOR FIRST PLACE AT Y. M. C. A. MEET

Inexperienced Men Do Well in Handicap Events--Freshman Relay Team Forces B. A. A. to Make New Record--Jones and Gordon Win First Places

The unexpected showing of a number of inexperienced track men featured a 13-13 tie for first place between the University and the Boston Y. M. C. A. on Saturday evening in a meet at the Y. M. C. A., in which seven teams competed. The majority of the letter men did not participate.

Greatest credit is due the Freshman relay team which forced the B. A. A. combination to break a record in order to gain first place by a few yards. J. C. McGlone '26, W. R. Chase '26, F. P. Kane '26 and R. G. Allen '26 all ran well, Allen's phenomenal sprint on the last lap, coming within a few yards of tieing for first place. Equally unexpected was the high-jumping of S. B. Jones '26, which won first place in that event. The actual leap was 5 feet 11 inches, while a handicap of one inch increased the total to six feet. Inasmuch as Jones never did better than 5 feet 8 inches at school, the extra height speaks well for his improvement this fall.

A. H. Gordon '23, with 14 yards handicap, placed first in the 600-yard run with several yards to spare, and J. S. Murphy '25, a member of last year's Freshman team, gained second place in the 300-yard race after an exceedingly close battle with Spinney, captain of the Huntington school team.

Beginning this week, Coach Martin will put in practice a plan whereby both University and Freshman squads will be divided into two teams which will compete during the winter season. The purpose is to stimulate interest since points will be registered at the meets and prizes awarded at the end of the season.