QUINTET TO FACE STIFF OPPOSITION

Merriam to Start in Forward Line, Samborski in Backfield-To Meet Dartmouth February 10

New Hampshire State on Friday in the Hemenway Gymnasium and Worcester Polytechnic Institute at Worcester on the following day are the opponents which the University basketball team will meet this week. Both games are expected to be difficult and close, especially the latter, since the Engineer quintet has defeated the University five in three of four games played in the past. The last contest resulted in a 31-17 victory for the Crimson. New Hampshire knelt before Coach Wachter's men with a score of 41-33 last year.

The Crimson quintet will be handicapped by loss of two men, Captain Gordon and McLeish. The former has been out of the game for over a week with an attack of tonsilitis that may keep him out of the New Hampshire contest. McLeish is still out with sprained ankles and will not report for practice this week. Their places will be filled by Merriam in the forward line-up and Samborski in the backfield.

Following the trip to Worcester there will be a game on January 31 with M. A. C. and the University of Maine on February in preparation for the first big contest of the season with Dartmouth on Wednesday, February 10.