A SECOND CONFERENCE OF WASHINGTON

During the past week two videttes were seen in Washington examining with practised eye the enemy's entrenchments. Much handshaking was done in the Senate Chamber and much earnest conversation was held with silent, stern-faced men. Then the two scouts withdrew into conference to outline a plan of campaign for the next assault on the Capitol.

One of these two, after trying three times himself without success, was instrumental in putting Woodrow Wilson in the White House; the other hoped to succeed him and saw his hopes dashed temporarily at San Francisco in 1920. Both battle-scarred, as they are, already advance to renew the attack in 1924.

The presence of Bryan and Macadoo in Washington has given rise to much political wisdom. It has been said that they have organized a "constructive program" for the Democratic party to put into action. Such of their plans as are known or may be guessed are interesting because they indicate where the Administration forces may expect to find their outposts assailed.

There is weakness in the Administration ranks both at home and in the field. The policy of isolation, or "friendly aloofness" as it has been characterized, which carried the Administration into office has gone by the board and nothing definite has taken its place. The Democratic skirmishers can find an entering wedge with a modified "League of Nations" thrust, which is gathering increasing impetus with the turning of American interests to Europe.

At home the partial settlement of the railroad strike leaves a section of the Administration's line very sparsely defended. Again the Democratic videttes can report an opportunity for a successful sortie, under the colors of federal ownership of the railroads, which, they claim, received no fair trial under war conditions and to which popular opinion in the provinces is fast rallying.

It is still a long way to the campaign of 1924 when the two camps "go before the people" and there will be much maneuvering between now and then. But if the dispatches from the second Washington Conference,--as undoubtedly it will be known to history,--are correct these two means of attack, a modified "League of Nations" and a consolidation of the railroad systems, in one form or another are likely to be advanced tentatively to test out their strength.