BASEBALL SEASON TO START FEB. 13

Coach Slattery Will Have Seven Letter Men From Last Year--Schedule to Include 28 Games, Starting April 7

With a schedule of 28 games an average of three a week, arranged for this spring, the University baseball season will officially open on Tuesday evening, February 13, at the Varsity Club with a meeting of candidates for all positions.

The first work-out will be held on the following day, when the battery candidates will report at the cage on Soldiers Field for a limbering-up under the direction of Coach J. T. Slattery. The call for fielders will not be issued until two weeks later.

Although handicapped by the loss of several veterans from last year's nine, Coach Slattery will have the following seven letter-men on hand to form the nucleus of his team: E. L. Gehrke '24, pitcher; Captain George Owen Jr. '23, first base; Percy Jenkins '24, second base; C. C. Buell '23, third base or outfield; Lewis Gordon '24, right field; J. S. Clark Jr. '23, center field, and D. F. Thayer '23, left field.

The initial game of the season will be played on April 7, when the team will clash with Boston University. A week later, on April 14, the University nine will start its annual southern trip, leaving for Washington for a week's stay. Two games have thus far been scheduled during this period--the first with William and Mary College on April 17, followed the next day by a game with the U. S. Naval Academy at Annapolis. Besides these two games, it is expected that the University nine will face other teams in and around Washington.

The Sophomore competition for the position of second assistant manager will begin on February 14.