SPEAKS ON IMMIGRATION

Mr. Magnus Washington Alexander Traces History of Migrations--Declares Mathematics Cannot Solve It

Mr. Magnus Washington Alexander, Managing Director of the National Industrial Conference and formerly connected with the General Electric Company, addressed the Business School Club at an informal meeting in the Union last evening, taking as his subject "Immigration" and illustrating it with charts.

Tracing the history of migrations, which is as old as the history of the human race, Mr. Alexander showed that in immigration we are dealing with a changing problem, and one which is not capable of a final solution. In the last century 36,000,000 people have come to the United States, urged by economic, religious, political, social, and artificial reasons, but in recent years there has been a distinct change in the character of immigration. Mr. Alexander explained that whereas in the earlier years of immigration 98 1-2 per cent of those who came to our shores were from the northern countries, in recent years 70 percent have been representatives of Slavic races, less easily assimilated, and which present a distinct problem. "This problem we cannot solve, however, by applying a mathematical formula to a human question", Mr. Alexander said in conclusion.