WINNING THE PALM

The Glee Club and its leader have fallen heirs to so many honors during the last two years, that new ones at periodic intervals seems to be taken almost as a matter of course. The latest of these, however, is out of the regular course, and its significance calls forth more than passing notice. The "Paume Academique", which M. Milhaud has presented to Dr. Davison in behalf of the French Government, is an official recognition from that nation of the rank which it believes the Glee Club's work has earned, a reward for services in art just as the "Croix de Guerre" is a reward for services in patriotism.

This habit which France has of rewarding her artists in the same manner as her heroes is one which we may well admire. America is inclined to shy at the idea of associating its literature, its music, its drama in any way with the government, and the government is equally hesitant to become their patron. The American theory is that art is an individual and a non-essential matter; the government deals only with necessities. France considers its art to be as much a part of the national life, and so of the national need as education or even military science.

Both views are plausible. While we may be grateful that our art is not at the tender mercies of our fickle government, we must envy the French spirit which makes possible its official recognition and encouragement on an impartial basis. Such honors to foreigners are rare; that Dr. Davison, and through him the Glee Club, has been so distinguished, is a cause for much satisfaction.