TO ACCOMPANY SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA TO NEW YORK ESTABLISHING PRECEDENT

PICK "THE HUNTER'S FAREWELL" AS PRIZE SONG

An innovation in the winter schedule of the University Glee Club, is the plan, resulting from an invitation extended by the Boston Symphony Orchestra, to hold a joint concert of the Orchestra and the Glee Club in New York City on Saturday, March 17. The invitation, establishing a precedent for amateur Glee Clubs, was made public yesterday and is considered an unusual compliment to the work of the University Club.

The Boston Symphony, Pierre Monteux, conducting, will be assisted by 50 men from the Glee Club in rendering the Faust Symphony. After their night in New York, the orchestra will return to Boston to perform on the evenings of Friday and Saturday, March 23 and 24. This is the first time any college glee club has ever been taken on tour with a large Symphony orchestra. In the Faust Symphony the orchestra will be supplemented by the Glee Club in its choruses which are entirely for men's voices.

It has also been announced that "The Hunter's Farewell" by Mendelssohn has been chosen as the Prize Song in the Intercollegiate Glee Club contest, to be held at Carnegie Hall, New York, on March 3. The other colleges beside Harvard will compete in New York, eight in Chicago, and eight in San Francisco. Harvard last year won the first leg on the new University Glee Club Cup, with Yale a close second. The committee which will announce the results of the contest will be Madame Sembrich, H. C. Krehbiel and Dr. Walter Damrosch.