ABSOLUTION

What threatened to be a curse upon Yale-Harvard athletic engagements for the coming season has suddenly and fortunately been averted. With no advance notice those in authority have lifted the ban on Yale's sophomore athletes. This is a piece of welcome news, for nothing is so unfortunate for amateur sport as to have continual worry over present or future ineligibility. Luckily for New Haven the ghost "it might have been" has been vanquished.

Evidently the Administrative Board considers that the class of 1926 has learned its lesson, and that the outbursts of last spring will not be repeated. It trusts that the pledges signed will be sufficient to assure good behavior in the future, and, by removing the disciplinary measure of probation, it frees itself from the accusation of exacting a pledge of good faith and at the same time of inflicting punishment.

Also, the primary objects of this punishment have been fulfilled, for it was partly in deference to the opinion of New Haven citizens and City authorities that so stringent measures were taken. Now, inasmuch as the offenders have been disciplined for a reasonable length of time, there is no occasion for further action on the part of the Board. It is cause for mutual satisfaction that Yale's athletic shackles have been removed and the black sheep readmitted to the fold.