WHEELER SMASHES WAY TO VICTORY OVER WHITBECK

WHEELER WILL MATCH STRENGTH WITH CUMMINGS TODAY

G. M. Wheeler 1G.B., proved himself a very strong contender for the Jackson Cup in the singles yesterday afternoon, when he defeated J. F. W. Whitbeck in a one-sided, yet brilliant match. The 6-1, 6-2 victory was not due to a let-up in Whitbeck's playing, but rather to the brilliance of Wheeler.

Wheeler's American twist service continually baffled his opponent. He lofted and chopped the ball beautifully, seldom out of bounds, winning his points on Whitbeck's erratic shots.

Whitbeck made Wheeler earn every point. He played hard and well, even to the last game when the score stood irretrievably against him. On nearly every point the ball went back and forth across the net two or three times before the point was scored. Whitbeck seemed to lack that last finishing stroke, which Wheeler usually delivered.

Parke Cummings '25 defeated H. N. Snow 1G, and is scheduled to meet Wheeler this afternoon at 1.45 on the Divinity Courts. Cummings has been playing well, his service being particularly severe yesterday. His calibre is scarcely that of Wheeler, however and a victory on his part would be more than a surprise.

Alden Briggs '25 easily defeated W. P. Dixon '25, 6-3, 6-4; while W. L. Coleman 1G. defeated C. G. Martin '24, 6-4, 6-3. As a result of these two matches Briggs is scheduled to meet Coleman at 2 o'clock this afternoon on the Divinity Courts.

Nothing of real note has occurred in the doubles matches as yet, the seeded men winning easily. The matches will continue this afternoon on the Divinity Courts.