WHEELER TO FACE BRIGGS IN FINALS

Wins in Straight Sets in Semi-Finals-Briggs Has More Difficulty with Coleman, Winning in Fifth Set

Some exceptional tennis is expected in the finals of the Jackson cup singles matches to be played tomorrow afternoon, probably at 2.30 o'clock, when G. M. Wheeler 1G. B. meets Allen Briggs '25 on the Divinity courts. It is a case of the graduate schools versus the college, with superior form, skill, and experience, judging from the matches of the past two days, on the side of the older man.

Upon Briggs' ability to return Wheeler's service will depend his apparently slender chances for the cup. His lofting and lobbing up to the present has been excellent and should cause his little trouble tomorrow.

Both of these men were victorious in the semifinals yesterday, Wheeler's defeat of Parke Cummings '25 attracting the attention and applause of a considerable number of spectators. Wheeler opened the match in his brilliant style, sending over a fast, accurate service, lofting the ball into the back courts, and chopping it into the corners. He took the first two sets 6-1, 6-2.

With two sets to his credit he let down slightly while at the same time Cummings' play stiffened. In the third set each man won his own serivce until the score in games was five all, when Cummings lost his service and Wheeler finished the match, winning 7-5. In this set Cummings had his cannonball service working excellently, taking one love game on it alone.

W. L. Coleman 1G, yesterday gave Briggs one of the hardest fights of the tournament when he forced the undergraduate to five sets before he succumbed. The score alone tells the story,6-3, 7-9, 6-2, 2-6, 6-3. Briggs lost most of his points by smashing the ball into the net, and was saved only by Coleman's inability to keep his loft from landing behind the service line.

Briggs fooled his net-rushing opponent on more than one occasion by lobbing the ball over his head to within a yard of the back line. Both players became erratic at times, and this factor is sure to cause Briggs trouble when he meets the consistent brilliancy of Wheeler tomorrow.