A NEW DICTATOR?

Germany, having passed from one type of despotism, appears to be threatened with another. Hugo Stinnes evidently has enough confidence in his power to defy both government and workers alike. So far he has made no bones about his intentions: absolute control by the Industrialists. Nor for France would realization of his aims appear to be altogether unfortunate. It is agreed that Germany's collapse is an industrial one, and that only absolute unity of purpose and control can enable her to get on her feet before all but the oldest in-habitant has forgotten the meaning of "Allied Debt." No one doubts that Stinnes, if he goes about it in the right way, is capable of making the "giant factory" eventually produce. Whether he can accomplish this before revolution strikes is another question. More-over, it does not appear that Stinnes does intend, to go about it in the right way.

To the workers, especially the miners who, for nearly a year have borne the burden of passive resistance, Stinnes's attempt to negotiate directly with France comes as a monstrosity. It is small wonder that his act of seeking French military aid against the workmen after previously endorsing a platform of "no compromise with France" is looked upon as nothing short of treason. The threat of doing away with the eight-hour day is alone enough to assure a fight to the death between dictator and toiler. What-ever the opinion of Germany's war-guilt, it is agreed that upon her working classes no blame should fall. Stinnes must realize that, after enduring the misery of the War, the German working man cannot be expected to endorse any industrial tyranny.