FALL REGATTA SCHEDULED FOR OCTOBER 24 AND 25

FIRST MEETING OF COACHES, COXES AND MANAGERS HELD

The annual fall sculling regatta, consisting of races in three distinct classes, will be held next week on Wednesday and Thursday, October 24 and 25. The purpose is to give men of less experience an opportunity to win a race over men with the same amount of experience The wherry race is open to men who have never rowed a comp or a single and is meant especially for the inexperienced men. The comp race is open to all men who have never rowed a single and the last class is the open race, an unlimited event in which anyone may row any type of boat preferred.

A meeting of all men who plan to enter this regatta will be held at the Varsity Club at 7 o'clock on Monday, October 22. At this meeting the entrants will draw lots for the boats. The regatta is in charge of Coach Edward Wachter who has been coaching the scullers this fall. Coach Fred Newell, the 150-pound crew coach, will be referee of the races, which will be held on the Charles just above the Stillman Infirmary over a course of one-half a mile. Medals will be awarded to all the winners.

A special series of Interdormitory Wherry races will be held for the Freshmen on Tuesday and Wednesday of next week. The results will count toward the Interdormitory Sport Shield.

Last night the first meeting of coaches, coxes and managers was held at the Varsity. Club at 7 o'clock to carry out Coach Stevens' plan of instructing coxes so that they can from their vantage point see and correct the mistakes of the men on the crews that the coaches would otherwise have to spend time on. This intelligent cooperation of the coxes with the coaches and managers bids fair to become an important factor in the development of Stevens-made crews. The meeting last night was really a course in crew technique and the coxes should benefit a great deal by knowing not only what the crew is doing but what the eight men should be doing.

Dormitory Crews to Take to Water

This afternoon 16 dormitory crews will go on the Charles for the first time. The boats are made up entirely of the inexperienced Freshmen who have been rowing for several weeks on the machines. These men were arranged into eights yesterday by Coach Bert Haines and rowed in the same places that they will occupy when they take boats out on the water today.

These crews will be considerably shifted as the men become more accustomed to their positions and in the final arrangement by Coaches Bert Haines and Bill Haines they will hold an interdormitory regatta that will probably take place on Monday and Tuesday, November 5 and 6. After the regattas have been held and the regular season closed for most crews some men will be permitted to row in sculls and a few eights will continue to cow as long as the weather permits.