INTERSCHOLASTIC TRACK WILL BE REORGANIZED

New Association for School Boys May Be Modeled on I. C. A. A. A. A.--Preparatory Schools Will be Included

Comprehensive arrangements for the newly instituted Indoor Winter Interscholastic track meet, scheduled for the afternoon of February 23, were discussed yesterday at a conference between Mr. James E. Downey, head of the Massachusetts High School Athletic Association and C. F. Dunbar '25 interscholastic track manager at Harvard. According to the plans tentatively adopted, the Winter Interscholastics, which will be held in Mechanics Building on the afternoon of the Harvard Dartmouth Cornell Triangular meet, will be subdivided into two classes, the members of the Massachusetts High Sshool Athletic Association, and the preparatory schools which have regularly participated in the annual Harvard spring interscholastics. Each of these classes will be subdivided in turn into group A and group B. In group A of the High School group will come the larger schools such as Boston Latin School, Medford High, or Newton High schools which are near Boston and have long had organized track teams. In the secondary division, group B, will fall the smaller and more distant high schools, such as Glouster High School or Fithburg High.

A similar classification will be adopted for the preparatory school teams. Andover, Exeter, Worcester Academy, and other larger schools which have long maintained organized track teams will fall into group A, while smaller schools or schools which have just inaugurated track teams, such as Milton Academy, St. Mark's, or Dummer, will be classified in group B. It may thus be seen that the Winter Interscholastic track meet will constitute in reality four track meets in one, whereas the spring interscholastics have usually been confined to the two groups of preparatory schools while the spring High School track meet has been run off at a subsequent date.

At the meeting yesterday, steps were also taken towards the organization of an Interscholastic Athletic Association among the preparatory schools similar to the Intercollegiate association now existing among the colleges. The High Schools of Massachusetts have already been organized into an association at the head of which is Mr. James E. Downey of the Boston High School of Commerce. But up to the present, no attempt has ever been made to organize the preparatory schools. Heretofore all the arrangement for the Interscholastic track meets of Eastern Maassachusetts have been made by the Harvard Athletic Committee. However, if the plans made at the conference yesterday are effected, all future arrangements will be made under the joint direction of the Harvard Athletic Association and the executive committee of the new interscholastic association. As now planned this committee would be made up of six members, four of whom are to be representatives of the four teams scoring highest at the previous interscholastic track meet. The remaining two members are to be elected at large by all the schools represented in the interscholastic association. In addition the Harvard interscholastic track manager would be the secretary ex-officio of the committee.