COMMENT

An American Ideal

President Coolidge issued a proclamation today calling for observance of the week beginning Nov. 18 as National Education Week. . . . "From its earliest beginnings," the proclamation says, "America has been devoted to the cause of education. . . . We have observed the evidences of a broadening vision of the whole educational system. This has included a recognition that education must not end with the period of school attendance, but must be given every encouragement thereafter. To this end the night schools of the cities, the moonlight schools of the southern Appalachian countries, the extension work of the colleges and universities, the provision for teaching technical, agricultural and mechanical arts, have marked out the path of a broader and more widely diffused national culture.

"To insure the permanence and continuing improvement of such an educational policy, there must be the fullest realization of its absolute necessity. Every American citizen is entitled to a liberal education. Without this, there is no guarantee for the permanence of free institutions, no hope for perpetuating self-government. Despotism finds its chief support in ignorance. Knowledge and freedom go hand in hand". Boston Herald.