A LATTER DAY PROPHET

Mr. Edison in his latest interview explodes as usual into flying criticisms of the soft-headed youth of this lax age. As usual he is interesting, but interesting particularly in his inability to fathom psychological intricacies as he has fathomed the mysteries of mechanical invetion. It is easy to put faith in his prophetic vision when he says that the immense development of hydro-eletric power now in progress may lead within a score of year to a four hour working day. But when he prophecies that the younger generation will "spend that shortness basely" few who have either faith in education or sympathy with youth will deny that his vision is astigmatized.

Contrary to this seer, there seems to be no legical reason why a four hour day should not prove more beneficial to the youth of the land than to their elders. A four hour day would make unnecessary for the workman the drudgery of night school in order to gain and education. It would give greater opportunity for cultured development; it would leave more time for healthful sport, to mention only a few of its more obvious benefits. Let Mr. Edision bring on his short-time working day and stop worrying about its effect. The doleful Malthus will perhaps snare the country in the toils of his population low in a few generations. But meanwhile people would like the chance of creating a Golden Age which might rival the Renaissance in height and breadth of intellectual life.