UNION TENNIS BEGINS TO GET INTERESTING

Whitbeck and Stralem, Both Seeded Men, Meet Today--Roots Fighting Bondi to a Tie Upsets Calculations

The Whitbeck vs. Stralem tennis match this afternoon at 2.30 o'clock is the first match of the Union tennis tournament to attract genuine interest of spectators and fans. Both are seeded men in this tournament, and in the order given by Coach Harry Cowles, Whitbeck is number one, Stralem number three.

Whitbeck, the former Loomis star, has walked through his matches thus far in short order and so too has Stralem, who yesterday rolled under Beebe-Center, whose record thus far in the tournament had been excellent, to the score of 6-1, 6-1. Both Whitbeck and Stralem use the American twist service, although judging from the playing yesterday, Stralem's is somewhat slower than Whitbeck's.

A real upset occurred yesterday when Roots forced Bondi the second seeded player to 22 games before the latter won the set 12-10, and when Roots then returned the compliment by taking the second set 6-4. Only two sets were played, however, on account of darkness. This afternoon at 3 o'clock on the Jarvis Courts, Bondi may lose or maintain his reputation in the final set while Roots may gain one.