WANTS TO BRING FINE ARTS TO THE MASSES

Charles D. Isaacson Will Speak on "How to Listen to Grand Opera"--Declares Anyone Can Understand it

Charles D. Isaacson will speak on "How to Listen Intelligently to Opera" next Monday, October 29, in the Payne Concert Hall. This lecture, which has been arranged by Professor W. R. Spaulding of the Department of Music, will be for the purpose of ridding so many students of the shyness that is felt for super-classical music. Mr. Isaacson illustrates his points by having opera stars sing parts from some of the better known operas followed by a brief resume of the story of the opera. He has gone all over the world giving his lectures during the past eight years with the cooperation of 300 volunteers who were interested in fine arts for the masses, establishing real liking for the better class of music.

His method is to dissolve the mystery of grand opera, to destroy the traditions that it is only for the highly cultured: to exploit the human pull which lived in the hearts of great composers and which now lives in their compositions. Jazz we hear and forget. Its lilt wears for the moment and then fades. But even the most untutored in music can retain the memories which a great composer's idea inculcates into a musical drama.

He comes to Boston in connection with the San Carlo Opera Company of the Boston Opera House all next week. Mr. Isaacson will speak at Tufts, M. I. T. and Boston University as well as at the University Approximately 50 organizations of all kinds from shoe factories to Women's Clubs will hear him during the week.