HARVARD 0, DARTMOUTH 16

Big Green Team Springs Surprise--Displays Powerful Offense and Pounces on Crimson's Errors

The Stadium, Soldiers Field, Oct. 27.--The teams lined up as follows: DARTMOUTH  HARVARD Bjorkman, l.e.  r.e., Hill Oberlander, l.t.  r.t., Dunker Diehl, l.g.  r.g., Grew Ellis, c.  c., Kernan Aschenbach, r.g.  l.g., Hubbard Hatch, r.t.  l.t., Eastman Hagenbuckle, r.e.  l.e., Crosby Dooley, q.b.  q.b., Lee Kelley, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Cheek Haws, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Hammond Leavitt, f.b.  f.b., Jenkins

First Period

The game started at 2.35. Hubbard won the toss and chose the south goal. Aschenbach kicked off for Dartmouth to Hammond who ran it back to the 22-yard line, where Hagenbuckle tackled him. Cheek started the Harvard attack with a four-yard drive through the line. Hammond punted to Dartmouth's 33-yard line.

Haws broke loose around left end for a ten-yard run. Then Kelley took it around right end for another gain. On the third play, Dunker nailed Dooley in a line buck. Then Dartmouth punted to Lee, who was dropped in his tracks by Oberlander.

Hammond retaliated with an offside kick to Dartmouth's 40-yard line. Haws was tackled at the goal line by Kernan. Then Haws, standing back as for a punt, was stopped in an attempted end run by Hubbard. Kelley punted to Lee. Henkins ran into Oberlander on an end run. Hammond kicked to Dooley. Leavitt gained two yards off tackle.

Kelley, taking a punt, ran around right end for eight yards. With but a half-yard to go for first down, Leavitt ran the ball off side for a first down. Haws then carried the ball through the line for three yards.

A cross buck was tried next and then Haws gained another first down around left end. Kelley, picking his hole carefully, ran through the line for three yards. He then broke loose and raced toward the Harvard goal until Dunker tackled him from behind. A similar play by Haws on the left side brought Dartmouth to the 20-yard line. Then a high pass from Dooley to Haws was successful and the latter raced across for a touchdown. Haws kicked the goal, squarely between the posts. Score; Dartmouth 7, Harvard 0.

Hammond kicked high to Bjorkman who broke loose and ran back ten yards. Kelley gained nothing on a right end run. Hubbard blocked Haws on the left. An offside penalty put Dartmouth back five yards. Haws smashed through the line for three yards. Kelley kicked to Lee, who signalled for a fair catch on the 20-yard line. Time out while Dartmouth forms a hollow square to enable a Dartmouth man to change his pants. Harvard Band plays to cover up the embarrassing silence.

Dartmouth's balanced attack with shifting backfield has Harvard completely bewildered. The attack shifted alternately from right to left with equal strength. Play is resumed. Jenkins failed to gain on an end run and Hammond punted. Eastman touched the ball down on the 45-yard line. Cheek tackled Haws and Hubbard nailed Kelley on the next play.

Dartmouth Tries Long Pass

Kelley on a fake kick sent a 40-yard pass that just slipped off Hagenbuckle's fingers. Kelley kicked to Jenkins. Cheek penetrated the Green line for a yard. Then Cheek took the ball around left end for three yards. Hammond kicked to Dooley and Hubbard nailed him. Kelley took it around right end for first down. Evans went in for Eastman. Leavitt ran the ball offside on Harvard's 45-yard line. Hubbard hooked Haws as he broke around right end and the quarter ended with the ball on Harvard's 48-yard line. Score: Dartmouth 7, Harvard 0.

Second Period

Kelley kicked a beautiful punt to Lee on the 15-yard line. Cheek stood back and carried the ball around right end to the 18-yard line. Oberlander broke through and smothered Jenkins behind the goal line. Hammond kicked to Dooley on Dartmouth's 42-yard line and the latter ran it back along the side line to the Harvard 35-yard line. Hubbard stopped Haws on a left end run. Hill knocked a pass out of Kelley's hands. Dooley tried another pass to Haws, who dropped it. On the fourth down with 11 yards to go Aschenbach stood back to kick with Bjorkman holding the ball. The kick fell short of the crossbars by several yards.

Lee passed right into the hands of Kelley, who was tackled by Cheek on the 24-yard line. Hall went in for Kelley. Time was taken out for Kernan, and Bradford was sent in at center for Harvard. Again Dartmouth broke loose, and Hall on his first play carried the ball to Harvard's 10-yard line. Hall gained three yards on the next play. Then the Harvard defense stiffened. Jenkins three Hall on the three-yard line, but on the fourth down Hall carried the ball across for another touchdown. Haws' kick was blocked by Dunker. Score: Dartmouth 13, Harvard 0.

Lee Fumbles Punt

Hammond kicked to Dooley and then tackled him on the 20-yard line. Combs went in for Crosby. A line buck, then an offside penalty, put Dartmouth on the 18-yard line. Hall tripped on a right end run and Combs nailed him. Hall kicked to Lee who fumbled it. The ball rolled offside on the 50-yard line. Spalding went in for Lee. Cheek carried the ball ahead four yards in two line plunges. A pass from Spalding was knocked down by Leavitt. An offside penalty after a punt over the goal line, brought the ball back. Harvard was offside twice on two punts. On the third punt the ball rolled over the side line and was taken out to the Dartmouth 20-yard mark.

Dartmouth lost five yards on a penalty. Hall broke through tackle for two yards. On the next play. Hubbard tackled Dooley on the goal line. Hall kicked to Spalding, who signalled for a fair catch on his 40-yard line. Jenkins gained a yard and Hammond on the third play stumbled into Leavitt's arms on the line of play. Hammond kicked to Dooley, who broke away from Hill and took it back 20' yards to the Green 35-yard line. Leavitt ran the ball off side. Hall gained a yard through the line and Haws advanced it four yards more through left tackle.

Dooley grounded a long pass. Hall kicked to Spalding, who was tackled at the same time by both Dartmouth ends. Jenkins gained five yards on the first down. Time was taken out for Dartmouth. Cheek in a left end run bumped into both his interferes and was tackled without gain. Hall broke up a pass from Spalding to Hill.

On the punt that followed Hubbard tackled Dooley on the 20-yard line. Hall made two yards. Haws gained three more, then Hall kicked offside to Spalding on the 28-yard line. End of half. Score: Dartmouth 13, Harvard 0.

The fact that Dartmouth made six first downs during the first half while Harvard made none showed the jump that Dartmouth had over Harvard on the offense. Between the halves, the rival bands carried on the fight. Here, too, Dartmouth had the edge.

Third Period

The second half started. Hagenbuckle and Kelley were back in the Dartmouth line-up. Hall ran back Hubbard's kick to Dartmouth's 25-yard line. A short tackle play and then Haws broke through for a first down. After a line buck and an incompleted pass, Kelley kicked. Harvard took up the offense on the 13-yard line.

Cheek hammered the line for two plays and a Dartmouth penalty gave Harvard a first down. Hammond kicked high to Dooley on the Green 32-yard line. The Crimson defense stiffened but Haws finally broke through to a first down on the Dartmouth 46-yard line.

Jenkins Gains Twelve Yards

Dunker spilled Kelley for a one-yard loss. Then Kelley kicked to Spalding. Jenkins broke loose for a 12-yard gain around the right end. Both lines piled up in a center rush. A grounded pass and with third down, nine to go. Hammond was tackled by Hagenbuckle ten yards behind his line.

Dooley caught Hammond's punt on his 45-yard line. A line play failed to gain. Hubbard jumped and grabbed a pass thrown by Kelley and ran to the Dartmouth 33-yard line.

Hammond Misses Attempt at Goal

Cheek gained six yards through the line. Jenkins fumbled and recovered and Hammond forwarded to Spalding on the 17-yard line. Two line bucks piled up without gain. Cheek passed to Combs and on the fourth down Hammond tried for the goal and missed it.

Dartmouth began a drive from its 20-yard line. The next two plays gained nothing and Kelley punted to Spalding, who was tackled on the 50-yard line. Spalding passed to Jenkins, who caught the ball on the 38-yard line. Hammond gained nine yards in a long run around left end.

Time was taken out for Dartmouth. The Harvard line drove ahead three yards for a first down and the quarter ended with the ball on the 24-yard line. The Harvard offense seemed at last under way with two first downs. A successful pass and a long, end run. The end of third period score: Dartmouth 13, Harvard 0.

Fourth Period

Spalding sent a pass to Jenkins that gained seven yards with fourth down, three to go, on the 18-yard line. Hammond passed high to Hill, who was waiting over the Dartmouth goal line, but Haws knocked it out of his grasp. Dartmouth started the ball back from the 20-yard line in a series of line plunges.

McGlone went in for Spalding. Haws gained six yards on the next three plays. Watkins went in for Hagenbuckle. Kelley punted to McGlone, who fumbled. Watkins recovered on the 35-yard line. Dooley passed to Haws for a short gain through the line. A trick play gave the ball to Watkins, who carried it to the 22-yard line for a first down.

With Dooley back on the next play, Combs rushed through and nailed him for a loss on the 38 yard line, Hammond intercepted Kelley's pass and Aschenbach tackled him.

Long Pass From Cheek Fails

A long pass from Cheek to McGlone was batted down by Leavitt. An end run by McGlone netted nothing. Another pass from Cheek was intercepted by Ellis on the '30-yard line. Cheek tackled Kelley on the next play after a five-yard gain.

Dartmouth was penalized for holding and Haws carried the ball for a one yard gain. Adie went in for Bradford. Kelley crashed through for thirteen yards.

On the fourth down Dartmouth was on Harvard's 25-yard line with four yards to go.

Aschenbach stood back for a drop kick and put the ball squarely over the goal post from the 35-yard line. Score: Dartmouth 16, Harvard 0.

Tully went in for Bjorkman, and Daniel for Hubbard.

Aschenbach kicked to Cheek, who ran the ball back to the 25-yard line. Oberlander tackled Cheek on a two-yard going through the line. A pass by Cheek was blocked.

Long Pass to Hill Fails

Hammond attempted a 40-yard pass to Hill, but Kelley broke it up. Hammond kicked to Dooley. Donovan went in for Grew.

Kelley made six yards on the first down. Dartmouth took time out. Play resumed. Crosby and Gordon went in for Hill and Combs.

Cordingly went in for Cheek. Hall for Kelley. A criss cross and Hall ran 20 yards to the Crimson 38-yard line.

Lockwood went in for Jenkins and Bowles for Haws. Time out again.

With third down and two yards to go. Bowles gained one yard.

On the next play Aschenbach stood back to drop kick and passed to Hammond, who intercepted and ran back to the 30-yard line.

Final score: Dartmouth 16, Harvard

First Period

Dartmouth Tries Long Pass

Second Period

Lee Fumbles Punt

Third Period

Jenkins Gains Twelve Yards

Hammond Misses Attempt at Goal

Fourth Period

Long Pass From Cheek Fails

Long Pass to Hill Fails

Final score: Dartmouth 16, Harvard