56 MEN TRUST FINAL EXAMS IN PROF. LAKE'S EXPERIMENT

As a result of Professo Kirsopp Lake's recent experiment in allowing his students in English 35a a course in the Old Testament, to choose between two methods of grading, 56 men out of the 168 enrolled, decided to be graded on the final examination mark only, according to statistics given out Saturday. Two lists were prepared, one of men wishing all the tests included in the final grade and the other of men wishing to be marked solely on the final examination.

The system is an innovation in the mechanics of grading and was inaugurated by Professor Lake in an attempt to obtain greater flexibility and to allow for the differences in methods of study. Professor Lake's theory was that men with scholastic ability would do better to choose the first examination mark only as they would not have to waste time by repeatedly reviewing for unimportant tests and so could get a broader outlook on the course. Less able students, he believed, should take the second choice as it was a surer means of obtaining a passing mark.

Statistics have borne out his contention. Thirty-five per cent of the men choosing the final examinations only are scholars of the first three groups while only eight per cent of men on the other list were ranked last year with distinction.