THREE MEN CHOSEN FOR OXFORD DEBATE

Final Wording of Question Now Reads This House Condemns the French Action in Occupying the Ruhr

The three University debaters who will meet the Oxford team in Symphony Hall next Monday night were selected last evening by Coaches B. H. Kuhns 1G., and C. H. Wheldon. They are Charlton Mac Veagh '24 of Washington, D. C. Philip Walker '25 of North Brookfield, and Paul Whitcomb Williams '25 of New Bedford.

Macveagh will open the case for the Crimson in defense of the French action in the Ruhr. The University is upholding the negative of the question "Resolved: That this house condemns the French action in occupying the Ruhr".

The second speaker is Walker, who is now president of the Debating council. He made the University team in 1922, during his Freshman year.

Williams captained the 1925 team in the Yale-Harvard-Princeton Freshman debate of 1922, and spoke against Yale last spring. He will close the case for the University.

Not one of the three speakers spoke against Oxford last year, but the fact that none of the men who made up the visitors' team will return for the debate this year evens matters on this point.

G. E. Barton '25 and H. M. Hart '26 have been retained as alternates.

The Harvard Club of Boston has again invited the members of the two teams to dine at the Club after the debate.

R. M. Morrison '24 has secured the University Double Quartet under the direction of J. F. Lautner '21, a former soloist of the University Glee Club, to handle the musical numbers on the program. They will probably sing football and college songs.

Special invitations to the debate have been extended to sixteen notable persons who are: President Eliot, President Lowell, Dean Greenough, Dean Pound of the Law School, Governor Cox, Mayor Curly of Boston, Senator Lodge, Ex-Governor McCall, Mr. George Wiggles-worth '74, President Merlin of Boston University, President Stratton of Massachusetts Institute of Technology, British Consulate-General T. P. Porter, French Consul J. C. Flamand, Mr. Howard Coonely '99, President of the Boston Chamber of commerce, Dean Briggs, and Chief Justice Ruggles of the Massachusetts Supreme Court.