THREE ASSISTANT TRACK COACHES ARE APPOINTED

O'CONNELL, TESCHNER, HAUERS FILL NEW POSTS

Harvard's track coaching difficulties were attacked from an entirely new angle at the meeting of the Athletic Committee on Friday night, when the policy of appointing Harvard graduates as assistant track coaches was inaugurated for the first time.

At the meeting, C. R. Hauers '23 and D. J. O'Connell '22 were appointed assistant track coaches for the fall season. Hauers, who was intercollegiate high hurdle champion in 1922, will be placed in charge of both high and low hurdles. O'Connell, who was captain of the track team in 1920 and 1921, featured chiefly in the distance runs, placing third in the intercollegiate mile in 1921 and first in the same event against Yale in 1919 and 1920. During the fall he will coach candidates for the 880 yards run, the mile and the two mile.

In announcing of the appointment of Hauers and O'Connell the Athletic Committee adds that "one or more other coaches may also be appointed by the Graduate Treasurer." In accordance with this clause, E. A. Teschner '17, the famous Olympic sprinter, has been obtained as assistant coach for sprint men during the fall.

With these three assistant coaches to supervise the various track events. Field Coach Farrell will be able to devote himself particularly to field event candidates and his cross country squad.

It is expected by the Track Advisory Committee that when some head track coach has been appointed to supervise and co-ordinate the work of his assistant, track coaching will operate in somewhat the same manner as the present football coaching system.