MANY ATTRACTED BY DISTINCTION HOPES

This Is 24.3 Per Cent of Upper Class Men in Concentration Groups--Last Year's Percentage Was 14.4

According to figures prepared by the Committee on the Choice of Electives, 201 more members of the three upper classes in the college are now candidates for degrees with distinction than were candidates last April, when 281 students were so enrolled.

At present 1983 men in the sophomore, junior, and senior classes are listed as conentrating in 22 fields, and 482, or 24.3 per cent are candidates for distinction, whereas in April, 1923, only 14.4 per cent of the 1948 concentrations were candidates.

In a number of instances detailed figures for those who are candidates for degrees with distinction are interesting. In English, for example, 87 men or 16 per cent are now seeking distinction in comparison with 39 in April:

In the only two fields for distinction where the percentages are lower this year than last the figures are misleading engineering sciences has no candidates for distinction in the college because, naturally, such men are in the Engineering School, and in anthropology, while the number of candidates for degrees with distinction is the same as last year the percentage is smaller because of the increase in the number of concentrators. Subject  Concentration  Distinction Anthropology  17  2 Biology  45  5 Chemistry  181  38 Classics  44  31 Economics  351  69 Engineering  526  87 Fine Arts  50  16 Geology  19  5 German  28  10 Government  94  27 History  166  48 History and Literature  85  51 Literature  5  4 Mathematics  76  22 Music  9  4 Philosophy and Psychology  43  13 Physics  53  14 Romance Languages  190  30 Social Ethics  13  4 Astronomy  3  1 Engineering Sciences  6 Semitics  4  1