Communication

Wanted--A Poll

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

Let me congratulate the editorial staff on their attitude, expressed in the issue of October 8, under the heading "The Bigger They Are"--an admission of total ignorance is always commendable as it is the first step toward enlightenment. Now to the task.

The idea of matching opponents of nearly equal physical strength originated somewhere back in the beginning of the age of chivalry, when concepts of fairness first dawned upon mankind. Such ideas have been more or less prevalent among human beings since, and have wormed their way in, even as far as the conduct of athletic sports.

For example what would a boat race be, if boats were not required to be entered in classes? There skill would be eliminated entirely, it would be the hugest craft, or the man who could buy the most sail.

The idea is not new even among college teams. Coach Wright of the University of Pennsylvania has put a 150 pound crew in competition every year against similar crews of other colleges. It tends to make college athletics a field for physical development among all of the students, rather than among a small portion of them, whom nature has endowed with huge physiques, the very men who really do not need athletics as much.

As to football the great tendency of rule revision in the past ten years has been to convert the game from a test of brute strength to an athletic contest in which there is some show of skill and in which a lighter team will have a chance. Of course there has been a spirit of conservatism among some of the older, larger, institutions, perhaps because they have the knack of acquiring students of great stature.

As to the advisability of adopting such a plan among the colleges I say nothing. I merely wish to call to the attention of the editorial staff that such things have been done and are being done in other institutions with more or less success. If suggestion can prove anything, Coach Heisman's proves just that.

October 8, 1821. R. H. BARKALOW 1G.