WHITIN CONCERTS WILL START NEXT WEDNESDAY

Noted Soloists Will Take Part in the First of the Annual Concerts to be Given in Paine Hall

Music belonging to the Italian and French Schools of the 17th and 18th centuries will feature in the program which was announced yesterday by Professor W. R. Spalding '87 of the Department of Music for the first of the Whiting Concerts, which will be given at Paine Hall, in the Music Building at 8,15 o'clock on Wednesday, November 7.

At the concert Mr. Whiting will play the harpsichord, the key board instrument which preceded the pianoforte so that the audience may hear the early music exactly as it sounded at the time it was written, over 300 years ago. As the harpsichord is rarely used today, Mr. Whiting's performance will be a novelty full of unique and beautiful effects which are essential to a proper understanding of the old music.

In Wednesday's concert, several noted soloists will assist Mr. Whiting in rendering the various selections on the program.

Mrs. Elizabeth Sheridan will sing three songs of the Italian masters and a cantata by Ariosti called "The Shipwreck", an amusing example of descriptive composition.

Mr. George Barriere, said to be the finest flute player in the country, will play solo numbers by the French composer Leclair.

Mr. Arkady Bourstin, violin, and Mr. Paulo Gruppi, violin cello, of the New York Symphony Orchestra, will also assist. Mr. Bourstin's chief selection will be the Sonata in G minor by Tartini.

Mr. Whiting will preface the program with a few remarks on the pieces to be played and on the general character of the music of the period.