A CERTAIN BOOLA-DOG

In the city of New Haven there lives a bull-dog so famous hat he is known throughout the country. This same bull-dog is blue all over and at certain seasons of the year it is reported that, like the Hound of the Baskerviles, his eyes shoot fire. When these seasonal madnesses seize him, he becomes so dangerous that nobody dares front him except a certain tiger and a man named John Harvard.

It would seem as if the bull-dog must have fed himself full already this fall, especially after slaughtering the unfortunate Tiger a week ago. But John Harvard has within the past fourteen years beaten him so often about the head and shoulders that the bulldog's injured pride has filled him with an unequalled ferocity. In fact the air is full of uncouth growls and mutterings of "at least a three touchdown margin" and "forty-one to nothing or bust".

Nevertheless, John is no whit daunted. His flint-lock is loaded to the muzzle, his pistol is by his side, and every wary instinct is more fully aroused than ever. He has thrown open his arena to the bull-dog today, the better to entrap him; and it will be a lucky bulldog who does not have to be dragged out again by the heels.