AFTER SEVEN YEARS

To Captain Mallory and to his splendid team--worthy to rank among the great elevens of any university of all time--Harvard is only too anxious to do honor. Alert and powerful, Yale earned on Saturday the victory she deserved and which the most trying conditions imaginable could not mar. Harvard is proud of her record of victories over Yale, but she can never forget how to lose nor how to honor the team which broke her record of success.

It is unneccessary, perhaps, to say that the University is proud of its team even in defeat--unneccessary because every Harvard man knows it and feels it. But for that very reason it requires the saying. Every man on the eleven was determined to accept nothing but victory when he went on the field on Saturday. Every man gave his utmost. It is no fault of his that that was not enough.

The weather was, of course, execrable. It was hard on the victors, who had hoped to see their team score a clean-cut and even more decisive victory. It was hard on the vainquished, who had hoped to see their new defense stop the Yale attack and turn some golden opportunity into a chance for a score. It was trying for the spectators. But it is another tribute to Yale and to Harvard that, under such circumstances, such a game should have been possible--another game of cleanest rivalry and finest sportsmanship.