TWO SHIFTS MADE IN FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

Position Occupied This Year by Tufts Remains Vacant--Yale Contest Will be Played in New Haven Nov. 22

With the exception of two games, the University football schedule for 1924, announced last night by the Harvard Athletic Association and the football advisory committee, will be the same as the 1923 schedule.

In the opening game of the season on October 4, a contest with the University of Virginia has been substituted in place of the Rhode Island State game with which the 1923 season was opened. This is the first time that a University team has played Virginia in 50 years of scheduled football games.

The second change is found on the fifth date of the schedule which was occupied by Tufts this year. Tufts does not appear on next year's schedule, and the game for November 1, the date left vacant, is still unsettled. Whether or not any game will be booked for that date remains to be determined. In announcing the schedule, the football advisory committee declared that it did not desire to schedule too heavy a game for Saturday November 1. This date comes after two hard games and just before the three final games of the season. Consequently it may be advisable to lay off on November 1 some of the first string men who may be slightly injured, or trained too fine."

The Tentative Schedule

With these changes, the schedule for 1924 is as follows, subject to the approval of the committee on Athletics:

October 4, University of Virginia

October 11, Middlebury.

October 18, Holy Cross.

October 25, Dartmouth.

November 1, Unsettled.

November 8, Princeton.

November 15, Brown.

November 22, Yale at New Haven.

The game with Dartmouth has been arranged for another year with the understanding, thoroughly satisfactory to both colleges, that neither college will consider it a fixture. The date is one that both institutions wish to keep free for the future, if in any year it may seem desirable to either to take on some other big game, whether intersectional or not.