SMITH WINS COMPETITION WITH TOTAL OF THIRTY

STANDISH FINISHES FAR BEHIND WITH SCORE OF 15

The fall interdormitory championship for athletic sports has been won by Smith Hall, it was learned yesterday at the office of Mr. D. J. Kelley, assistant director of physical education at the University.

After a competition among the three dormitories in the seven fall sports offered for Freshman exercise,--football, cross country, track, sculling, rowing, handball, and tennis, the result stood, Smith 25, Gore 26, and Standish 15, on a basis of five points for first place in each sport, three for second, and one for third. In addition credit was given on a similar basis to each dormitory for its representation on the football and soccer teams, the only forms of organized athletics open to Freshmen in the fall. It was this factor which gave Smith the championship, for Smith had the greatest number of football and soccer numeral men, and Gore the least. As a result, in the final ranking of the various dormitories, Smith comes first with 30 points, Gore second, with 27 and Standish third, with 15.

The standing of the three halls in each of the events of the competition is indicated below:   Smith  Gore  Standish Football  3  5  1 Cross-country  5  2  2 Track  5  3  1 Sculling  5  1  3 Handball  3  5  1 Tennis  3  5  1 Crew  1  5  3 Representation  5  1  3 Totals  30  27  15

In last year's fall championship, Gore won decisively, with 45 points to 28 for Smith and 26 for Standish. The size of last year's score was due to the fact that for the 1926 fall competition each of the six crews from each dormitory competed on a separate basis and points were awared for each of the six races. As a result, over half of Gore's 45 points were gained in the fall crew regatta.

In winning the Fall interdormitory championship, Smith will be awarded the Straus Trophy until the winner of the winter competition has been announced. In addition, three awards were made in particular sports as a result of the fall interdormitory showing.

The football cup, given by the Harvard Club of Boston, was awarded to Gore for the second year.

Gore also won for a second year the crew trophy offered by T. M. Slocum '90.

The Graduates Cup, offered to the dormitory making the best performance in the interdormitory cross-country run and the fall outdoor track meet was awarded to Smith, which took first place in both events.