RULES IN BASKETBALL ARE SLIGHTLY CHANGED

NEW RULING ILLUSTRATED IN FIRST PRACTICE GAME

Over 150 basketball enthusiasts watched the first informal game of the season in Hemenway gymnasium last night between two teams made up of members of the University squad. The contest was held as a demonstration of the new rules, which were explained to the spectators between the halves.

The Red team, which started with Rudofsky, Black, King, Smith, and D. H. Stevens in the line-up showed a clear superiority over the Whites, made up of Barnett, S. L. Stevens, Rauh, Bourne, and A. E. Reed, and won the contest 17-6, not allowing its opponents a single goal from the floor. Black and Smith starred for the victors, each scoring three baskets and a foul goal.

The most important innovation this year is the rule providing that a player who has been fouled must make the free throw. No one may be substituted for him as heretofore unless he has to leave the floor on account of injuries. Other minor changes have also been made, providing that the basket shall be of white netting and that time shall be called during the first free throw if two are taken as a result of a personal foul inside the end zone against a man in possession of the ball. Only one free throw will be allowed for a personal foul against a player not in possession of the ball. The other changes made were suggested chiefly to clarify the existing rules in defining running with the ball and the position at the toss-up.