A UNIVERSITY CHAPEL

Appleton Chapel very seldom seems too small for its congregation; more frequently, at morning chapel in particular, the visiting preacher brings light to the janitor, a decimated choir, and perhaps several freshman and graduate students to whom the geography of the Yard is still strange. There are times, however, when the Chapel refuses to hold the crowd of students which press into it.

Such was the case last Sunday morning, when the reputation of the preacher, Dr. Fosdick, drew an audience which began to appear an hour before the service opened, and which had filled the chapel twenty minutes before eleven. Visitors, not members of the University, being less easy-going than undergraduates, arrived early and filled almost half the seats, while over a hundred students crowded down the side-aisles and stood in the doorways.

While Chapel in a sense is undoubtedly a community affair, the message of the preacher who visits the University is essentially to the students. The fact that students so seldom consider the service of great interest is a sound reason why in general the chapel should be open to visitors.

In certain special instances, however, discrimination in seating to favor students at the University seems desirable. The plan already in use at the annual singing of Christmas carols might be extended to those Sunday mornings when students in great numbers are fairly sure to be attracted. By public notice given several days before, visitors might be advised that remaining room in the Chapel would be open to them at five minutes before the hour.