CALLS "ALL" TEAMS A POPULAR CRAZE

But Thinks Mahaney and Evans Deserve Places on Mythical "All Schedule" Teams--Picks Dooley Before Richeson

"There is so much bunk in the papers nowadays that I don't bother to read much if it," said Coach R. T. Fisher '12 to a CRIMSON reporter yesterday in connection with the craze for "All--" football teams which has flooded the press of the country. "A newspaper football expert sees perhaps nine or ten games in a season, gets what information he can from press accounts and from hearsay, and then blossoms out with an All-American, All-Eastern, or All-Something-or-other team. His story makes interesting reading. The public eats it up and calls for more. Don't blame the newspaper man. He is writing in response to a very evident popular demand, but he is attempting something that just can't be done.

Would Give Mahaney and Evans Places

"The CRIMSON, in selecting an All-Schedule eleven has taken a sensible course. it confines its attention to teams which faced Harvard this year. It bases its choice wholly upon a man's showing in the one game. What is even better, the CRIMSON has made its selection exceedingly well. There is little criticism to make. My personal opinion is that Mahaney of Holy Cross deserves a place, at least on the second team. Evans of Harvard can hardly be left out. He got a slow start, but his play in the later games labelled him one of the best tackles of the year."

Prefers Dooley to Richeson

When asked his opinion on the CRIMSON'S choice of Dooley of Dartmouth as quarterback in preference to Richeson, the Yale star, Coach Fisher said, "Dooley certainly looked good against us. Any quarterback looks good when everything he tries works. Richeson didn't have a chance to show his best against us, but he adapted his generalship to the condition of the field, and his judgment was excellent. On a dry field he might have been much better. On the other hand, he might have been a disappointment. No one can say what would have happened under normal weather conditions. That is what makes the season in a way seem wasted. Yale had a good team. She thought it was her year. She deserved her chance to prove it. We thought that we could stop her, and we deserved our chance. Conditions forced the preconceived plans of both teams to be discarded. It was the most unsatisfactory outcome possible. I would rather have been beaten 50 to 0 on a dry field.

All-American Teams Must be Unfair

"As for All-American teams, conditions have changed since Walter Camp began making his annual selection. Then high-grade football was limited to a few large Eastern colleges and it was possible to see all the leading teams is action. Now it is impossible for one man to see half of them. It is unfair to pick a man for an All-American team when the picker has never seen him play. The report may come that So-and-so-starred in such-and-such a game, but that doesn't prove anything. There can be no fair standard of comparison. Even if you expert does see a man play once, he may get a wrong impression. The man may be playing far above or far below his normal game.

"Every year I receive many requests for my choice of an All-American team. I file them all in the waste-basket. I have tried to show you some of the reasons why."