SIXTY MEN REPORT AT FIRST FRESHMAN HOCKEY MEETING

Crosby and Dempsey Speak--Squad Will Use Arena Twice a Week

Sixty candidates reported in the Smith Halls Common Room last evening for the opening of the Freshman hockey season. Captain Crosby of the University team and Freshman Coach J. H. Dempsey '23 outlined plans for the coming year.

The Freshman squad is to have the use of the Arena for a short time two afternoons a week, the first practice there being tomorrow. In this way the coaches will have a chance to develop the team more rapidly than in the previous years when weather conditions have prevented work on the Charlesbank rinks.

Donald Angler '23, coach of last year's Freshman team, will assist Dempsey, and Head Coach Winsor will review the squad occasionally.

The first game on the first year team's schedule is Malden High on January 5. Coach Dempsey emphasized the fact that from now on all work centered on that game. By a short blackboard talk he explained the fundamentals of the Harvard system of hockey. The first practice for these men comes this afternoon when the squad will have a workout behind the Heminway gymnasium.