WHITING DOMINATES NEXT CONCERT AT PAINE HALL

Has Arranged Music and Will Serve as Soloist at Tomorrow's Recital of Which He Is the Donor

Mr. Arthur Whiting will be the pianoforte soloist at the second Whiting concert, to be given at Paine Hall, Wednesday evening, December 12. On his program are a number of characteristic pieces for that instrument. Among them are the Schumann Phantiasie, one of the most important works of the romantic school; Debussy's "Submerged Cathedral" which is a striking illustration of descriptive music, impressive and poetical; and several Chopin numbers, examples of the most idiomatic treatment of the modern key-board instrument. Ravel's "Vaalses nobles at sentimentales" show the modern method of tone-color, and Mr. Whitings's own transcription of Bach's English suite in A minor, originally written for the harpsichord, is a pianoforte rendering of that music.

The recital will be of interest to men who want to have a layman's understanding of the several kinds of music which make up what is generally known as Chamber Music.

The ground floor for Paine Hall will be reserved for members of the University, free of charge, and public admission to the gallery will be by tickets which may be purchased at the office of the Music Building.